Wednesday 29 February 2012

Born to Die : Lana Del Rey















Finally I am back blogging! After two weeks of no internet I have missed this so much. So now I am back lets talk about my latest obsession (also seems to be a worldly obsession) Lana Del Rey.
Whether you love her or hate her you have definitely heard of her.
I first came upon her through youtube and her recent release Born to Die. The haunting tone of her voice and dark video had me glued to the screen, not since Florence and the Machine have I been  so excited about a new artist.
As a fashion lover (slave/victim, call it what you will), I was even more interested in her personal style. A mix of ghetto glamour and retro chic, I still can't seem to put one label on her style. Something new FINALLY !
Del Rey, real name Lizzie Grant, cites Frank Sinatra, Nirvana, Eminem and Bob Dylan as influences. Quite a mix of genres but I guess it's all the greats of their time.
Lana Del Rey's homemade collage videos (check out video games) also add to the effects of her spooky voice. Images of Chateau Marmont, the American Flag and retro California summers flash by, mixed with Lana herself.
Many have accused Del Rey of being fake. A record company's new project even. From her suspciously big lips to Veronica Lake'd hair. I say I couldn't care less if its fake or real. Even David Bowie had his alter ego. I love the Lana Del Rey character. Who is to say whats real and whats not. Sometimes the best things are from our immagination. For me she is a musical and visual sensation, as I said before something NEW !
Style wise I see influences such as New York's Hip Hop scene, Veronica Lake, Nancy Sinatra and the sexual innocence of Lolita.
Let me know your thoughts.
Ciao for now
xxx

6 comments:

  1. I love her style, but I'm a bit afraid she's ALL style and no substance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, I understand what you mean. Only time will tell x

      Delete
  2. Definitely love her style, she is so gorgeous :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comment, love her style too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. just came across your blog and I'm hooked! and i agree, lana del rey is pretty darn fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a sweet comment ! Glad you liked it. I love hearing your comments so come back any time :) love dani x

    ReplyDelete