Wednesday 24 August 2011

Forever Young













All above Thylane Loubry Blondeau
Brigitte Bardot

Brigitte Bardot

Hailee Steinfeld

Hailee Steinfeld



Elle Fanning


Elle Fanning


Kendall Kardashian

Kendall Kardashian


Plastic surgeons on speed dial and overflowing beauty bags full of endless anti-aging and quick fix products promising to turn back the cruel effects of time. Time is precious and youth is our God.
A global obsession, a human desire, everybody has Peter Pan syndrome.

Top fashion magazines taunt us with images of size zero models airbrushed to perfection and are thus blamed for encouraging unrealistic ideals of ourselves that lead, in some cases, to self-loathing and even worse disorders such as Bulimia and Anorexia.

So there is no way the models can get any smaller right? Wrong!
Not only are they getting smaller but they are getting younger. The latest supermodel sensation is only 10 years old.

Thylane Loubry Blondeau was featured in the January 2011 French Vogue, which was co-edited by Tom Ford. Likened to a young Brigitte Bardot, who modeled for Elle at only 15, Blondeau's pouty lips, seductive blue eyes and waist length locks offers us a modern day Lolita. Draped on a leopard fur, dripping in diamonds and couture some may say she is only playing dress up like other little girls of her age would do. But her come to bedroom eyes suggest Blondeau isn't just another little girl.

On further inspection I found a lot more photos of Blondeau, perhaps even some more risque.But she is not the first little girl to be dragged  brought up in the fashion industry. Designers such as Marc Jacobs and Miu Miu are using teenage girls to promote their brands. Elle Fanning, 13 and Hailee Steinfeld are the faces of Marc by Marc Jacobs and Miu Miu.

Last year photographs of 14 year old Kendall Kardashian in a bikini on a beach were critcised for being too racy and an exploitation of childrens rights.

Oh so who do we blame (because you know we love to do that). The fashion industry ?? In part, yes. In a desperate attempt to keep things fresh they outrage us with their edgy and outlandish views of the world, which as bloggers is the reason we blog. But as with all things there is a line. In this instance the concept is great but at what cost? Yes it maybe art yet it may also just be another way to get our attention.

I am instead going to go with classic blame route of the parents! Blondeau's mother was quoted as saying "The only thing that shocks me about the photo is the necklace that she's wearing, which is worth 3 million Euros." Classic case of pushy show mother? It seems so. But in an attempt to offer some advice to Blondeau's mother I would say learn from history. Brooke Shields. Famous child star. Exploited for her fame and beauty. Known for her provocative Calvin Klein campaigns and her role as a child prostitute in the movie Pretty Baby. It all worked out in the end right? Well not if you inlcude the nude pictures of Brooke at 10 years of age taken by photographer Garry Cross. The photo was comissioned by her mother in an attempt to further her career.





Let me know what you think? Child beauty? A celebration by the fashion industry or exploitation??

6 comments:

  1. I for one am a follower of the younger models. So much potential and can become a great role model for those younger and older!

    I'm not a fan of size 0, but I'm proud to say more British models who are coming out are sizes 8-10. So size 4/6! which is great news!

    I love your blog! keep it up xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY!! Blondeau is GORGEOUS.. 10 years old?
    She is so talented.. those are such beautiful pictures.

    I cannot believe those girls are 15 years old or younger.

    And I honestly don't know what to think.. because I look at those pictures and see art.. however, if you are to really think about what these little girls are sporting and/or suggesting in the more provocative pictures.. it's ridiculous.

    I agree. In the end, the parents are at fault. They solely responsible for their child until they are of age.. goodness.. it's the money, I swear.

    Well, didn't mean to leave such a long comment.
    Lovely blog btw ;)
    I do love the pictures nevertheless.
    hahah maybe I'm just as guilty bc I like the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Stephanierose:I like your positive take on the younger models idea. Yes I agree she could be an inspiration. But I agree I am all for the meatier model :)
    Thanks for the comment xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @priskillan:I am torn too. Its art, its beautiful and yet when I think about it feels wrong and I feel guilty for liking it.....
    Thanks for the LONG comment... haha jokes :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this post :)

    VanityWhisper
    http://vanityswhisper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I don't think anyone's forcing the young models to do what they're doing so I don't really see it as exploitation

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://fashion-thrill.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete